Pages

Wednesday 17 December 2014

My mantra.

I just wanted to share my personal "mantra" towards language learning with you.

Well technically it's not really a mantra, but it's definitely something I keep telling myself when I feel a bit "can't be bothered" whilst learning / studying a language.

"Every day not spent studying, is like a step backwards"

This is how I feel about learning / studying a language because language is something which is fluid and not solid.

I have personally experienced this will learning Japanese. I studied Japanese for 5 years and got to a point where I was writing essays and being able to hold a decent conversation. Then, I just stopped studying it. And since I didn't have any reason to use it....I just lost all my abilities. And now, all I can do is read hiragana and katakana...maybe a few kanji..definitely cannot hold a conversation, let alone understand it when I hear it!!

So just because you've attained a level that your happy with, it doesn't mean that it will stay that way. In a way, it's like losing weight. You can go on a diet, lose weight and reach your "goal weight", but it won't stay that way if you go back to your old ways. Language is also the same, it's all about "maintenance".

Please feel free to leave me any comments or questions :)

Céline xx

No comments:

Post a Comment